Healthy Potato Salad Recipe (Whole30, Paleo)
This Healthy Potato Salad is nutrient dense with live probiotics, resistant starch, healthy fats and protein to make it a meal. It's naturally Whole30 and Paleo and is great for lunches and big crowds.
- 4 small russet or Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 large carrots
- 6 eggs
- 4 lacto-fermented pickles
- 2 cups leftover roast chicken
- 1 cup lacto-fermented mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
Cooking in the Instant Pot (best to do this the night before so everything chills well)
Place washed and scrubbed potatoes on a trivet in the Instant Pot inner pot. Add eggs followed by carrots (you may need to break them in half to get them to fit).
Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot. Close lid, set the safety valve to sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to "Manual" and reduce time to 5 minutes.
Once cooking cycle has completed, allow to Naturally Pressure Release for 5 minutes, followed by Quick Pressure Release any remaining pressure.
Remove eggs and transfer them to an ice bath. Carefully remove the carrots and potatoes from the Instant Pot and allow to completely chill. When tolerable, peel the potatoes and carrots (they're easiest to peel when still slightly warm to touch)
Putting the Salad together
Dice the cooked and cooled potatoes, carrots, and eggs to about 1-4-1/2 inch cubes. (I use the chopper and use the small square insert) Transfer to medium- size bowl.
Dice the pickles slightly bigger than 1/2 inches cubes. You don't want to cut them too small as they will release more juice that way.
Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the salad mixture.
Mix mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar, fresh dill and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the salad with dressing and combine until thoroughly mixed. You may reserve this step until just before serving. Garnish with extra herbs such as dill, parsley and chives.
| Nutrition Information Disclaimer |
- As a make-ahead dish, leave out the mayonnaise until the day of serving.
- You can prolong the shelf-life (in the refrigerator) by storing the chopped pickles separately from the other ingredients so to avoid spoilage.
- Fully combined Healthy Potato Salad keeps in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Without mayonnaise: 3-4 days. Without mayonnaise and pickles: up to 5 days.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 449mg | Potassium: 569mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4285IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1.7mg