With hints of orange zest, these crispy thin almond cookies are dunked in chocolate and topped with toasted almonds. These Almond Orange Cookies are naturally gluten free, primal and GAPS with Paleo version.
I may receive a commission if you purchase with links in this post. Full disclosure.
With orange zest, crispy slivered almonds, and rich chocolate these cookies are bold with flavors for a wide taste palate. They are sweetened with honey, making them GAPS diet compliant. GAPS is a healing diet in which honey is the only sweetener allowed.
Almond Orange Cookies (Gluten-Free, Paleo, GAPS)
These Almond Orange Cookies aren't truly paleo if you're avoiding butter. However, butter in small quantities, unlike milk and cream, is tolerated for some but ghee can be an easy alternative.
I've not tried these with coconut oil but the creamy rich texture of the butter (or ghee!!) is what makes these cookies so delicious. In reality, we're only using quarter cup of butter for the entire recipe. That's half a butter stick or if my math is correct, slightly over half a teaspoon per cookie.
The chocolate dipping is made with cacao powder versus ready made chocolate. But for convenience, you can achieve the same result by melting fairtrade allergy-friendly chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
For completely from scratch chocolate dipping - melt butter (or coconut oil), cacao powder and sweetener of choice in a double boiler and stick it in the refrigerator for it to thicken before dunking the cookies.
What's better than fairtrade, non-GMO cacao powder?
Fairtrade, non-GMO cacao powder that is also fermented and raw. Wildly Organic's cacao powder is fermented and raw, and we retain the nutrients gently melting and combining everything in a double boiler. When working with fermented and raw products, you want to take great care not to exceed temperatures of 98-120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Note on storage: Keep these cookies in a sealed container to retain the crispiness at room temperature.
Gluten-Free Almond Orange Cookies
- 3 tablespoons cocoa butter (or coconut oil) see notes
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons real honey
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Almond Orange Cookies
- In a thick-bottomed saucepan, bring butter and honey over medium heat to a gentle simmer, whisking frequently.
- Remove from heat, add salt, almond flour, orange zest and slivered almonds. Combine well.
- Drop teaspoons of the batter on prepared sheets spaced about 2 inches apart. Using wet hands, shape and mold to create round shapes. Press down to flatten cookies to ¼" thickness.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack and allow to sit until cookies firm up.
Dressing up the Cookies
- In a double boiler, melt coconut oil and combine cacao powder and honey. Whisk until smooth and combined. remove from heat just as everything is blended and slightly chill to thicken.
- In a small stainless steel pan, lightly toast almonds over medium-low heat.
- Dip each cookie into the chocolate and top with toasted almonds, working quickly before the chocolate sets.
- Store in sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
More Recipes You Might Like
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with Prepare & Nourish’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Prepare & Nourish is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. For additional information, please visit my full Disclosure page.