Made with healthy ingredients, these Buffalo Chicken Wings are as nutritious as they are delicious. Dip them in the Blue Cheese Dip for extra flavor. This low-carb recipe is also naturally Primal and GAPS diet compliant.
Instant Pot Wings
I have to admit, when I first heard about the Instant Pot, I was skeptical. I just chalked up all the hype to a sly marketing trick because after all, pressure cookers have been around for a very long time. Nothing new there. Oh and also? They’re used as explosive devices. So there’s that.
But then as I dug a little deeper, I realized this shiny gadget wasn’t just a pressure cooker. It also served as a slow cooker, a rice cooker and a cheesecake maker. Coincidently, this was around the time my slow cooker of 14 years had given up on me and I was in the market for a new one.
Of course it made total sense to invest in this small kitchen appliance that can do the job of a pressure cooker and slow cooker. Since then, I actually acquired a second instant pot and an extra inner pot and an extra sealing ring.
Yes, the Instant Pot has redeemed my home cook status on more than one occasion. It can cook frozen meats in under an hour, chili in 18 minutes, and the best hard-boiled eggs for the impatient egg peeler.
I’ve yet to find something that the Instant Pot cannot make. Okay, steak. That’s meant to be slapped on a grill. But Instant Pot is so fabulously versatile. It makes breakfasts. Soups. Salads.
In fact, during our total kitchen remodel last fall, I cooked 80% of our meals in the Instant Pot. The rest 20% was Chipotle. I became so comfortable with it that now that I do have a full kitchen, I still resort to my beloved pressure cooker.
Low-Carb Buffalo Wings
I cooked these wings in the pressure cooker and then drenched them in the hot buffalo sauce, which is by the way, refined sugar-free! Now I should note that this recipe does have a little bit of honey. However, dispersed throughout the entire 4 pounds of chicken wings, the total carb count comes incredibly low per serving size. If you are still uncomfortable with using honey as the sweetener in the recipe, feel free to substitute with your liquid sweetener of choice.
But thanks to the honey, this recipe is also GAPS compliant (since honey is the only sweetener allowed on GAPS).
The Blue Cheese Dip is the perfect condiment for the wings. I find it odd that hot sauce and blue cheese would pair so well together, but they do. The perfect combination of blue cheese, sour cream, and mayo all blended with garlic and lemon is amazingly delicious.
Helpful Tips for Instant Pot Buffalo Wings
- Instant Pot – The best pressure cooker on the market.
- Steamer Basket or Trivet that came with the pot – The basket does a better job of making sure the wings are not submerged in water.
- Tongs – To handle the hot chicken wings once they’re done cooking.
- Small Saucepan – I love this stainless steel for the Buffalo Sauce.
- Baking Sheet – You can line this with parchment paper or place a cooling rack directly in the sheet with foil underneath to catch all the juices.
- Small Bowl for making the Blue Cheese Dip.
- Ingredients for the wings are Hot Sauce, Pure Honey, Pastured Butter, Unrefined Salt.
- Mayonnaise for the Blue Cheese Dip can be found here or the recipe here.
Instant Pot Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip (Low Carb, Primal, GAPS)
For Chicken Wings:
Blue Cheese Dip:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the stainless steel inner pot.
- Set the steamer basket or trivet in the pot and place chicken wings in single layer, as much as possible (some pieces will overlap, that's okay, but try to space them out evenly).
- Close the lid on the pressure cooker and turn the valve to Sealing position.
- Press Manual and set time to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- When the 10 minutes is up, press Cancel and let the pot naturally release pressure (this should take approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare the Buffalo Sauce by heating hot sauce, honey, butter and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- When Instant Pot has depressurized and the silver dial (safety pin) dropped, carefully open the lid. Remove chicken wings and pat dry with paper towels.
- Directly on a baking sheet, pour buffalo sauce over the chicken wings and toss gently to combine. Spread the wings in a single layer on the sheet and place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until browned.
- While chicken is broiling, combine crumbled blue cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic and lemon. Salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Enjoy buffalo wings by dipping them into the blue cheese dip. Serve alongside with some celery sticks and carrots.
Need More Instant Pot Meals?
Instant Pot Crispy Carnitas (Paleo, Whole 30, Low Carb, GAPS)
Instant Pot Pumpkin Turkey Chili (Low Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
Instant Pot Lamb & Squash Curry (Paleo, Low Carb, Whole30) +VIDEO
Instant Pot Whole30 White Chicken Chili (Low Carb, Paleo, GAPS)