Chunky, hearty, delicious and nutritious! Warm up to a bowl of Whole30, Paleo and Keto White Chicken Chili that requires only 8 ingredients and minimal effort with the help of the Instant Pot.
This recipe is not your traditional white chicken chili recipe.
If you're on a wellness diet like Keto, Paleo, Whole30 or GAPS for any reason and for any length of time - this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is for you.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe
Don't you just love the convenience of one pot meals?
They are so easy and convenient and leaves minimal dishes to clean. With a hearty and delicious meal to boot!
An Instant Pot, much like some slow cooker models, allows you to saute first then add remaining ingredients directly into the pot to continue to cook. Most soups and stews require some sauteeing to draw out flavor.
This process adds a savory depth of flavor and texture to the soup that you otherwise cannot achieve. Since it's all done in the same pot, there's still very little hands on time and clean up is a breeze.
Paleo White Chicken Chili
This White Chicken Chili is easy to make (only 8 healthy ingredients!), and suits anyone on a healing diet. It has no beans and no dairy so very Paleo friendly. But still loaded with so much flavor from the sauteed onions, bell peppers, cumin, and of course nourishing bone broth.
If you want to add more sustenance to this White Chicken Chili, you can add cooked rice to bowls and ladle the chili directly over the grains. This is especially convenient for kids.
Don't forget to top with avocado, sour cream and cheese if you're not dairy free.
Keto Chicken Chili
With just a few healthy carbs in the green bell peppers, onions and green chiles, this beanless White Chicken Chili is also low carb. At just 4 carbs per serving, you can comfortably go back for seconds and still stay within your daily carbohydrate intake.
To increase the fat content for this easy one pot meal, top your bowl of Keto Chicken Chili with a generous helping of diced avocado, dollop of sour cream and plenty of raw cheddar.
If you are craving for some crunch like tortilla chips, you add a some broken cheese crisps or pork rinds on top.
The Best Whole30 White Chicken Chili
As already mentioned, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili has no dairy, grains or legumes. This makes it not only Paleo and Keto, but also Whole30.
Generally, on this 30-day reset, you would strive to make your own salsa verde in order to truly avoid any ingredient that is not Whole30 compliant.
However, for the sake of ease and covenience, I love having Trader Joe's salsa verde and canned green chiles on hand for recipes like these. Both of those items are Whole30 compliant and have a very short ingredient list.
White Chicken Chili Recipe in Instant Pot
One of the reasons that this recipe is on regular rotation in our family is because it's easy to use leftover roast chicken.
You can use leftover roast chicken from previous nights dinner or purposefully meal prep ahead of time over the weekend. I love roasting a chicken or two for these recipes where leftover cooked chicken is called for. You may also use store-bought rotisserie chicken. Whole Foods regularly has organic rotisserie chicken in their hot deli department (but watch that ingredient list!).
Reclaiming leftover roast chicken or turkey in other recipes for an easy dinner has been the best kept secret. The protein is already cooked and all that's needed is a fresh new set of seasonings and vegetables.
Can this be made without leftover chicken?
If you don't have leftover roast chicken or turkey, simply cook ½ fryer chicken in the Instant Pot with 2 quarts of filtered water for 30 minutes. Once cooking cycle has completed, do quick pressure release and carefully remove chicken from the broth. Strain the broth to be used for this chili. When chicken has cooled enough to handle, pick off all the meat.
Helpful Tips for this Instant Pot Whole30 White Chicken Chili
- Sauteeing vegetables directly in the inner pot makes this an easy one-pot meal
- Use leftover chicken or turkey for an easy beanless, wholesome soup
- Use store-bought Whole30, Paleo, and Low-Carb compliant salsa verde and roasted green chiles. I buy mine from Trader Joes.
- Garnish ideas are avocado, sour cream, cheese (raw cheddar is a favorite), green onions, cilantro and sliced jalapenos.
- Leftover chicken chili can be stored directly in the inner pot covered with a tempered glass lid like this one. To reheat, simply set the pot back into the Instant Pot and press on "saute," until warmed evenly, stirring often.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil such as avocado oil, ghee, or tallow
- 1 yellow onion, medium chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1-½ cup salsa verde
- 1 cup diced green chiles (two 4oz. cans)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 4 cups bone broth
- garnish such as cilantro, fresh jalapeno, green onions and avocado
- Press "Saute" on the Instant Pot. Wait for the inner pot to warm up (1 minute), add avocado oil.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add salsa, chiles, garlic, and cumin and stir well. Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Turn the Instant Pot to "Cancel/Warm."
- Add cooked chicken and broth. Close the lid and set the valve to "sealing" position.
- Press "Manual" and reduce the time down to 4 minutes cooking time.
- When cooking cycle is complete, turn Instant Pot off and either do quick pressure release or let sit to naturally release pressure.
- Once pressure is fully released and it is safe to do so, carefully open the lid and serve warm.
- Add your toppings of choice.
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
>>> Pin This <<<
This post was originally published November 2018 but has since been updated to include helpful information.