This Low Carb Hamburger Soup Recipe is hearty, nutritious and an incredibly easy one-pot meal. It's loaded with nutritious seasonal vegetables and is whole 30, keto, and paleo friendly.
Soups are amazing at bringing nutrition and versatility to your table.
Generally, they are also pretty simple to make and most don't require gourmet or hard to find ingredients. This Low Carb Hamburger Soup is naturally "thickened" with low carb vegetables.
This soup can be made in under 35 minutes from start to finish. It's a one-pot wonder and that means less to prepare and less dishes to wash.
It also means this soup is an ideal candidate for 5 o'clock emergencies.
Low Carb Hamburger Soup Recipe (Whole30, Keto, Paleo)
The beauty of this hearty keto hamburger soup is that the copious amount of vegetables do most of the seasoning in this recipe. That's right. This hamburger soup also happens to be a low carb vegetable soup because it is LOADED with nutritious seasonal veggies.
Just be sure to use a variety of your favorite vegetables for flavor and texture. Or follow the recipe exactly if you want what I used for this hamburger soup as pictured.
Keep in mind, that the type of canned tomatoes will slightly change the flavor. For example, fire-roasted tomatoes would be a great option for this soup but always check for ingredients to avoid added sweeteners and adjust salt as needed.
How can I make this with frozen ground beef?
The beauty of low carb ground beef soups is that you can take from frozen to delicious in very little time.
If you forgot to thaw the ground beef ahead of time - simply do this: as your onions are cooking, place the brick of ground beef in a bowl of lukewarm water. The sides will start thawing immediately.
Once the onions are translucent, add the partially thawed ground beef and start chipping away at it as it's slowly cooking.
Flip it and scrape the cooked bits and continue to brown until semi-cooked through. Just remember that this will add a few more minutes to total cook time. This method has saved me from dinner emergencies countless of times.
Low Carb Hamburger Vegetable Soup Recipe
As mentioned previously, you can follow the recipe as it's written. However, should you switch up the vegetables based on location or seasonality, be sure to use approximately 3-4 cups of different veggies.
If you don't care for celery (as my family doesn't), use celery seed to add that same flavor without the vegetable itself. If instead, you would prefer to use celery, just add about 2 ribs, chopped along with the carrots, but then be mindful of the solid to liquid ratio. Either add more broth or less of the other vegetables.
I also love adding a few handfuls of leafy greens towards the end. This could be kale, spinach, collards or sorrel. Not only does it add more variety to the soup, but it also boosts nutritional content.
Green beans and asparagus can be used interchangeably in this soup, depending again on what's available at the market. Just be sure to trim them to approximately 1-½" pieces so they are not too large.
Finally, I always recommend adding softer vegetables such as bell peppers and green beans towards the end of cooking time so they do not turn to mush.
Helpful Tips for this Low Carb Hamburger Soup Recipe:
- To keep this keto, be sure to use vegetables with as little carb count as possible. Great low carb veggies are: broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, cauliflower, bell peppers.
- To keep this Whole30 and Paleo, be sure to use dairy-free cooking fat such as lard, ghee, or avocado oil. Additionally, remember to always check the label of the tomatoes to avoid sugar and other additives.
- Soup is always better with the best quality bone broth - not only for the flavor but also the nutrition component. I have an extensive post on how to make great bone broth in one of three ways - click HERE.
Helpful Tools for this Low Carb Hamburger Soup Recipe:
- Six Quart Enameled Pot - I have a 7.5 qt from the same brand but I have others that are perfect for smaller quantities.
- Diced Tomatoes - I love this brand of diced tomatoes even though they are canned. The flavor and quality is always consistent and it's very convenient to have on hand a few of these cans. For glass options, I have used this in the past (use 1-½ jars).
- This soup, as most soups, is amazing for leftovers and even freezer friendly. It is great in lunch thermoses as well and hold up well. We use these thermoses (they come with spoons!) and the kids love them.
Low Carb Hamburger Soup Recipe (Whole30, Keto, Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons healthy fat such as butter, lard, or ghee
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups bone broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-½ cup green beans and/or asparagus, cut into 1-½" pieces
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 4 garlic cloves
- salt & pepper, to taste *
- On medium-high heat, melt your choice of fat in a thick-bottom soup pot.
- Add onions and cook until translucent. Add ground beef and cook for approximately 10 minutes, breaking up the meat.
- Add celery seed, diced tomatoes, broth, and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add bell peppers and green beans or asparagus and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add spinach, garlic and check for salt and pepper. Adjust if necessary. Stir to combine well.
- Enjoy immediately but is also great for leftovers. Store in refrigerator up to 7 days.
- Amount of salt will depend on the salt content of your broth and tomatoes. I would start with 2 teaspoons and work your way up.
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
Other Low Carb Ground Beef Recipes:
>>> Pin This <<<