Conveniently made in one pan, this 30-minute Creamy Tuna Pasta is loaded with flavor from lemon, parmesan, Swiss Chard and of course canned wild tuna.
Embracing a gluten-free lifestyle is synonymous with pasta-free diet. Right? Wrong! The supermarket has come a long way since I decided to eliminate gluten from my diet six years ago. Gone are the days of pasta or no pasta. The store shelves are filled with a variety of gluten free pastas to meet everyone’s needs.
You still have to read the ingredients of the gluten free pastas to make sure they don’t contain any fillers or nasties. Also, because many gluten free products contain corn, always look for the non-GMO verified label since corn is often GMO.
Enjoying gluten free pasta!
Pasta is essentially flour rubbed in with eggs. There are many variations and flavorings that are often added to pasta to spice up your dish. Spinach is often added to create green pasta while red beets make for a deep red hue.
Traditionally, pasta is made with an ancient wheat variety such as einkorn. Currently, gluten free pastas are made with everything from chickpeas to cassava flour to edamame. My favorite pasta is THIS brand made with quinoa, amaranth, brown rice and corn. Penne pasta works just as well in this dish.
One Pan Creamy Tuna Pasta
I love that you can get a hearty helping of wild tuna in your dinner. I love to stock up on canned wild tuna (THIS is my favorite brand) when it goes on sale at my local Costco. It’s a great source of protein and much more reasonably priced than wild fresh seafood. Canned tuna is one of those foods that is great to have on hand for 5 o’clock emergencies.
This Creamy Tuna Pasta is conveniently made in one pan with gut-healing bone broth and garden fresh Swiss Chard. You can replace the chard with spinach or kale if that’s more readily available to you.
Related: 3 Methods to Making Bone Broth
The zest and tartness of lemon adds a flavorful dimension to this dish and compliments the parmesan well. Just be sure to save some parm for garnish. 🙂
One Pot Creamy Greens & Tuna Pasta (Gluten Free)
- 4 tablespoons pastured unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 16 oz. gluten free spiral pasta such as fusili
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups Swiss chard leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cans wild tuna, water-packed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add gluten-free pasta, bone broth, water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently until al dente (depending on brand and content of gluten free pasta). This is usually no more than 6 minutes.
- Take off heat, stir in chard, parmesan, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Fold in flaked canned tuna. Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
You May Also Like
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with Prepare & Nourish’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Prepare & Nourish is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. For additional information, please visit my full Disclosure page.