This Chicken Potato Bake recipe is so simple yet flavorful. With only 5 main ingredients, this bake is a great go-to recipe and is naturally Whole30.
The classic meat and potatoes get a makeover by adding your favorite spices, onions and tomatoes and baking to delicious perfection.
The chicken is fabulously tender and full of flavor. The comfort food that is potatoes are totally necessary to make this dish spectacular. Sandwiched between those two are slices of tomatoes and onions – which add incredible moisture, texture, and flavor to this healthy and easy meal.
And the best part is it’s all done in one pan!
Chicken Potato Bake Recipe
Don’t you just love one pan dinners? Throwing chicken dinners together on one pan to feed the family couldn’t be easier. And this one is favored by so many kids and adults alike. What is not to like?
- Meat: tender chicken soaked in all the flavors. ✔
- Potatoes: slathered with luscious mayonnaise. ✔
- Herbs: to season said meat with subtle hints of basil and garlic. ✔
- Onions: they provide incredibly flavor that seeps into the chicken. ✔
- Tomatoes: for that perfect texture and more flavor to add to the chicken. ✔
With five main ingredients – you have a Whole30 easy meal that will satisfy that whole family.
Make this in a large casserole dish so you have lunches ready to go the next day. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and you’re set!
Healthy Chicken Potato Bake
At first glance, this Chicken Potato Bake recipe doesn’t look all that healthy. With starchy potatoes drenched in mayonnaise and very little vegetables – what could possibly be healthy about this?
You can file this Chicken Potato Bake under the “comfort food.” But one that can easily be healthified with the right ingredients.
For starters, make sure you use organic potatoes and quality mayonnaise (more on mayo below ↓).
When buying chicken for this recipe, always go with organic at the very least or ideally pastured. We love ButcherBox and have been subscribers for few years now. They always have special bundles on their meats that we love to take advantage of.
We love chicken thighs for most of our chicken meals but chicken breasts (as shown in pictures) will work too.
Whole30 Approved Mayo
This recipe calls for a significant amount of mayo and contrary to what you were led to believe – mayonnaise is actually not bad for you. So long as you source the best mayonnaise your budget allows and avoid rancid vegetable oils such as canola, soybean or rapeseed oils.
Ideally, it’s always best to make your own. If you feel adventurous, you can find my super-easy 4-ingredient recipe to Homemade Mayonnaise here.
But not to worry if you can’t make your own. Good quality mayonnaise is aplenty these days lining the shelves of supermarkets.
We personally love Chosen Foods mayonnaise. They were one of the first brands to produce quality mayonnaise with healthy oils and they continue to develop products that meet supremely high expectations.
To make sure this potato bake stays Whole30, use only compliant mayo and you’re all set.
Now that we emphasized the importance of using only Whole30 mayonnaise, how do we keep it Whole30?
This Chicken Potato Bake is very simple. With only five main ingredients – just be sure that all of them are compliant. The basic ones in the recipe card are naturally Whole30. Just omit the optional parmesan that would go on top of the bake and you’re good!
How to Make Chicken Potato Bake
This Chicken Potato Casserole can be made in four easy steps:
- Toss cut chicken with spices and add to casserole dish.
- Add tomatoes and onions evenly over the chicken.
- Slice potatoes into rounds and toss with mayo. Spread evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and bake.
Can other vegetables be added to Chicken Potato Bake?
We prefer to have this bake simple as it is and instead load up our salads with as many veggies as we can. But yes, you can add other vegetables to this potato bake. Just remember that some take longer to cook than others.
How to season chicken for this Chicken Potato Bake?
We love the simplicity of basil, oregano, and garlic powder but you may use Ranch seasoning (the dried mix) or Italian herbs or any other combination of your favorite herbs.
Can I use something besides mayonnaise?
Mayonnaise adds flavor and pulls in all the ingredients together.
If you’re not dairy free, you may use sour cream or Greek yogurt but keep in mind this automatically makes this one pan meal non-compliant to Whole30.
You can also use avocado oil or olive oil instead of mayonnaise but results will differ.
See all those distinct layers? They all come together to bring the most amazingly easy and delicious one pan meal.
Chicken Potato Bake (Whole30)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken meat breasts or thighs
- 1 cup real mayonnaise divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tomatoes large
- 1 yellow onion small
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- freshly ground salt & pepper and parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch pieces and toss with basil, garlic powder, oregano, salt and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise. Spread evenly on the bottom of a 9x12 casserole pan (4 quart).
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4" thickness and spread them evenly on top of the chicken. Follow with sliced onions in the same manner. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice peeled potatoes using a mandolin or a sharp knife. Toss with remaining mayonnaise and spread evenly over the onions.
- Top with finely grated parmesan cheese if using and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for additional 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Garnish with fresh curly parsley.
Need More Easy One-Pot Meals?
Sheet Pan Garlic Butter Salmon, Asparagus, and Potatoes (Paleo, Whole30, Low Carb options)
Keto Chicken Cabbage Casserole (Low Carb, GAPS, Primal)
Crustless Skillet Pizza (Low Carb, GAPS, Primal) + VIDEO
Instant Pot Whole30 White Chicken Chili (Paleo, GAPS, Low Carb)
>>> Pin This <<<