This is easy no-fuss Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini recipe is made in 20 minutes and is very lightly seasoned with garlic powder, dried parsley and sea salt.
Summer squash and fresh zucchini are abundant during the summer months. It's a great thing that they are such versatile vegetables. They're amazing in sweet treats like brownies or zucchini bread. And they make a great low-carb pasta stand-in.
And of course, zucchini and yellow squash can be roasted and enjoyed as an easy side dish.
In fact, this is a delicious way the whole family can enjoy zucchini and yellow squash during the months of June, July, and August. This time of the year, farmer's markets are robust with this squash and it's even better if it comes from your garden.
❤Why you'll love this simple side dish
There is much to love about this easy air fryer zucchini recipe.
- makes an easy side dish in under 20 minutes
- this great side dish calls for only 5 simple ingredients
- these seasonal vegetables are readily available and reasonably priced during this time of the year. In America, you can find them year round in your local grocery store.
- zucchini and summer squash are loaded with vitamins and minerals making it a healthy side dish
- roasting them in the air fryer to golden brown perfection makes it incredibly delicious
- naturally Whole30, paleo, and low carb/keto making it an all-around superstar of a side dish
💭Did you know? Squashes are gourds that are then classified as summer squash and winter squash. Zucchini and yellow squash fall under the summer squash category and they are related to melons and cucumbers.
This simple recipe is a great way to use your bumper of summer squash.
- zucchini: look for small to medium squash, up to 8 inches long. The bigger the zucchini, the more seedier and dry they are.
- summer squash: this is also known as yellow squash or yellow crook neck squash.
- extra virgin olive oil: you'll only be using a teaspoon of oil and that will be more than plenty.
- seasonings: a simple blend of garlic powder, dried parsley, and sea salt is all that is needed for these seasoned zucchini
See recipe card for exact quantities and detailed instructions.
💭Good to Know: Unfortunately, zucchini and yellow squash are one of the top 10 foods known to be genetically modified. Therefore, to avoid GMOs, be sure to get organic zucchini and yellow squash.
📖Substitutions and Variations
- For a nice variety of color, use both the zucchini and yellow squash. But feel free to go all in for zucchini or all yellow squash.
- Seasoning suggestions: use fresh garlic instead of dried, Italian herbs for a more herbal flare, or add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. A little parmesan cheese would be lovely on these air fryer squash.
- This is a great option for an easy side dish that is already naturally Whole30, paleo, and keto compliant.
- Using an oil spray helps you reduce the oil consumption as it covers a larger surface area of the zucchini.
- Toss the squash halfway if using an air fryer with basket. If using a toaster oven air fryer and roasting the squash on the crisper tray, tossing them halfway is not necessary. Cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer.
- Be sure to roast the zucchini and yellow squash in single layer as much as possible so the zucchini slices do not become soggy.
- Don't cut the squash into small thin pieces. To help retain it's shape, cut the squash into wedges or thick rounds for best flavor.
💭Make it Nutrient-Dense: Ditch the rancid seed vegetable oil like canola or corn oil. Stick to traditional fats like extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil. And when looking for a good oil spray, check those ingredient labels.
The complete printable recipe is below in the recipe card for your convenience.
This perfect side dish calls for these ingredients that you will need: zucchini, yellow squash, extra virgin olive oil (or oil spray made with olive oil or avocado oil), garlic powder, dried parsley, and sea salt.
Step 1. Cut squash
Trim the ends of the zucchini and summer squash. Cut round discs across the squash or half moons.
Alternatively, you may cut summer squash into wedges by cutting it in half lengthwise, then half again, and finally making a cut crosswise.
Step 2. Season squash
In a large bowl, toss the cut zucchini and summer squash with olive oil and garlic powder, dried parsley, and sea salt.
Alternatively, you may use an oil spray to cover more surface area of the squash, thereby, reducing your oil consumption.
Step 3. Spread evenly
Transfer to the basket of the air fryer or spread evenly in one layer across a crisper tray if using a toaster oven air fryer. Do your best not to overcrowd the zucchini. It's okay if they slightly overlap as this may be unavoidable in a basket-type air fryer.
Step 4. Roast squash
Roast zucchini and squash in the air fryer for 10 minutes or until done to your liking. We prefer them with a little crunch.
If using a basket air fryer, toss them gently at the 5-minute mark so they cook evenly. Tossing is not necessary if you're using a crisper tray.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve while still warm.
🔪Helpful Tools & Links
Below are some affiliate links that may be helpful to you as you make this easy recipe. You can find some of these items cheaper at your local store but it helps to have a link so you know what you're looking for.
- Tools: chef knife, cutting board, large mixing bowl, extra-large air fryer,
- Ingredients: olive oil, avocado oil spray, real salt, garlic powder, dried parsley, herbs de provence, Italian seasoning,
- Storage Supplies: glass snap containers
This side dish pairs well with most hearty dishes like Instant Pot Sprouted Brown Rice with Beef or this Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes.
This simple side dish can also be enjoyed with your favorite dipping sauce. I love a good ranch dressing, marinara sauce, or spicy mayo.
❄Storage and Reheating Instructions
To store: leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The squash pieces will release more liquid with time. That is normal.
Storage containers: glass snap containers are perfect for leftovers
To reheat: remove the lid to the leftover container and pop it in the non-preheated air fryer for 5 minutes or until warmed through at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Summer squash is a summer fruit that is related to cucumbers, melons and hardy winter squashes and gourds. It has a thin and edible skin, with light flesh. They can generally be eaten raw or cooked and have varying degrees of mild flavor.
Yellow squash, yellow zucchini, and yellow crook neck squash are all very similar and generally can be used interchangeably. Green zucchini is traditionally been the choice of summer squash for side dishes.
You'll be surprised to learn that only 1 teaspoon of oil is needed to coat the squash pieces. Squash has large water content. As soon as the flesh is hit with salt, it will start releasing water that will help coat the squash. To reduce the oil content even more, you may use an oil spray that covers a large surface area. Using an oil spray is a healthy way to enjoy this perfect easy side dish.
Looking for more favorite recipes? Here are some ideas:
Did you make this? Please leave a ⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a review in the comments. Thank you!💚
How to Roast Zucchini and Squash in the Air Fryer
- air fryer toaster oven
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash (summer squash)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat air fryer to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and summer squash. Cut round discs across the squash or half moons. Alternatively, you may cut summer squash into wedges by cutting it in half lengthwise, then half again, and finally making a cut crosswise.
- In a large bowl, toss the cut zucchini and summer squash with olive oil and garlic powder, dried parsley, and sea salt.
- Transfer to air fryer basket or spread evenly in one layer across a crisper tray if using a toaster oven air fryer.
- Roast zucchini and squash in air fryer for 10 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh curly parsley.
- Do your best not to overcrowd the basket or crisper tray. It's best to cook in batches so all pieces cook evenly and brown.
- To retain texture and shape of the zucchini, don't cut into small rounds or pieces.
- This recipe is great with any zucchini and summer squash (yellow squash).
- You may swap oil spray (avocado or olive oil) for the olive oil. This will help use less oil as the spray covers more surface area.
- If you have a crisper tray (as all toaster air fryers do), flipping the zucchini and squash at midpoint is not necessary. However, if you have a basket air fryer, flip at the 5 minute mark.
- Seasoning suggestions: use fresh garlic instead of dried, use Italian herbs for a more herbal flare, or add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Leave a Reply