This Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad is a simple, yet refreshing addition to any summer meal. With only 5 ingredients, it comes together in under 15 minutes.
Long before the Cucumber Tomato Salad took the internet by storm, this simple yet delicious recipe graced the tables of most Slavic kitchens.
This basic recipe of tomatoes, cucumbers, and dill continues to be a popular salad amongst the Slavic people. And now making the rounds in the west. And for good reason.
Tomatoes and cucumbers are very prolific in the summer months, making this an inexpensive addition to any meal.
In fact, we typically enjoy this salad only seasonally when tomatoes and cukes are abundant and better yet, straight from the garden. Fresh herbs like parsley and dill are particularly easy to grow in small pots and are inexpensive at the farmer's markets.
It's a great salad that is crisp, refreshing with minimal ingredients.
There can be as many variations of this classic salad as there are home cooks but the chief ingredients remain the same: garden-grown juicy tomatoes, crispy cucumbers, zesty onions, and fresh garden herbs. Tossed in a simple dressing of healthy oil and real salt and freshly ground pepper. Vinegar is not necessary but can be added for extra tang.
Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad
Many love this salad for it's versatility. Working with is available to you, whether in your garden or farmer's market, and still packed with flavor!
It's really easy to customize it to make it work for you. No English cucumber? Just use Persian, pickling, or regular cucumbers. No beefsteak tomatoes? Use whatever tomatoes you can get your hands on. No fresh herbs? Dried works just as well.
Tomato and Cucumber Salad Recipe - in 15 minutes?
Yes, this salad actually does take only 15 minutes, depending on how good (i.e. fast) your chopping skills are.
No marinating. No separate salad dressing. Just chop the ingredients and toss together with your favorite oil and DONE! And yet you'll be pleasantly surprised how refreshing and delicious this salad is for how little effort is required.
How to cut tomatoes for salad?
If working with a large beefsteak or similar size tomato, it is best to cut the fruit in large wedges. This is especially true for this salad.
The reason is because a large portion of this salad consists of juicy tomatoes and juicy tomatoes release a lot of moisture. Therefore, it is best to cut the tomatoes in large chunks or wedges.
If you choose to cut them in smaller pieces, keep in mind that they will release a lot of moisture simply because there is more surface area on the tomatoes.
Recipe for Cucumber Tomato Salad
So what goes in a Cucumber Tomato Salad? The ingredient list is short with common substitutions.
- Medium/large tomatoes: Any variety of tomatoes will work. Heirloom tomatoes win for their delectable taste and texture but Romas and Early Girls will work too. Cherry and grape tomatoes sliced in half work great too.
- Cucumbers: English cucumber is ideal for this recipe because of it's low moisture content. Persian cucumbers are a close second.
- Onions: Any sweet onion will work: white or red are best, sweet yellow onion works great too. Green onion adds great flavor too.
- Herbs: Any fresh herbs will work but favorites are parsley, dill, and basil. You can also swap dried herbs in place of fresh using a ratio of 1:2 (1 tablespoon dried replaces 2 tablespoons fresh herbs).
- Oils: The two oils I regularly use in this salad are Perfect Supplement's MCT oil and La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil. Avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil are close contenders. You're welcome to use whatever healthy oil you prefer. I would go easy on the oils with very strong flavor (i.e. coconut oil).
Serving Suggestions for Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad
This salad pairs well with any form of potatoes and a healthy protein. Check out these suggestions:
- Easy Chicken Scalloped Potatoes
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Fish en Papillote
- Butter and Dill Potato Medley
- Easy Tuna Casserole
- Baked Gluten Free Chicken Tenders
- Keto Chicken Cabbage Casserole
Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
If you liked this Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad, please consider rating the recipe and leaving a comment below. ⇓