Looking for the best guacamole recipe? Look no further! This chunky and authentic guacamole is full of delicious flavors and textures. It's naturally gluten free and is a great dip for Paleo, GAPS or Whole30.
The life of an avocado can go rather quickly once it becomes slightly soft to the touch. I'm convinced guacamole was created to save those fruits from being dumped in the trash. And it's a good thing. Because I've yet to meet a person who doesn't like guacamole.
Guacamole can literally go on top of anything, from breakfast eggs to homemade tortilla chips. By the way, making your own is sooo incredibly easy -- just click over here for the simple 2-ingredient recipe.
The Best Guacamole Recipe with Cumin
This guacamole recipe is rich in flavor and various textures. Chunky pieces of avocado, combined with zesty onions and juicy tomatoes - so much yum. And what's guacamole without jalapeno and fragrant cumin? This is now the only way I make guacamole and the best part? It does not have mayonnaise - so it's great for those with an egg allergy!
Easy Guacamole Recipe
This guacamole recipe calls for 8 simple ingredients that when brought together create the best no-mayo guacamole!
- Avocados - the best avocados for guacamole are the Hass varieties as they contain less water than others. Look for avocados that yield to gentle pressure.
- Lime juice - you'll only need two tablespoons of this and directly over the avocado as you mash it. To make it even more convenient, use bottled lime juice from brands such as Lakewood or Santa Cruz (don't use the green lime-shaped bottles).
- Red onion - these diced morsels are sure to add a ton of zesty flavor and texture
- Roma tomato - this mild flavored addition compliments the red onions very well. Be sure to squeeze out the juice and seeds from the tomato before dicing it.
- Jalapeno - finely chopped. Use one or two to your taste preferences.
- Garlic - fresh is always best. Use as many or as little as you like.
- Cilantro - can't have guacamole without fresh cilantro.
- Salt & Cumin - to taste but start with amounts listed in recipe card.
Healthy Guacamole Recipe
What is it about guacamole that entices us for one more bite? Hard to tell: between the 8 basic ingredients and the creamy/chunky texture - this guac will be a sure hit at your next festivities.
It's naturally gluten free and paleo, GAPS diet, and Whole30 compliant. It's also a great dip for low carb and keto folks. Basically, it's a healthy dip that can be enjoyed by all. If you're grain free, use plantain chips or veggie sticks for dipping.
Best Chunky Guacamole
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted, & roughly mashed
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 1 Roma tomato seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise. Discard the seed. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and mash with a fork in a medium bowl, keeping some chunky bits.
- Add lime juice immediately to prevent browning while you're prepping other ingredients.
- Add chopped onions, tomato, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro and seasonings. Stir gently to combine all ingredients.
- Serve with your favorite chips or veggie sticks.
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
If you liked the recipe above, please consider rating the recipe and leaving a comment below. Also, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Need More Healthy Appetizers:
Three Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms (Low Carb, Keto, GAPS, Primal)
Bacon Avocado Jalapeno Poppers (Low Carb, Keto, GAPS, Primal)
Caprese Stuffed Avocados (Low Carb, Keto, GAPS, Primal)
Easy Beef Liver Pate Recipe (Paleo, Low Carb, GAPS)
>>> Pin This <<<
This recipe was originally published April 21, 2017 and has been updated.
Raia Todd says
Great way to get in those healthy fats! I've never made guacamole before, but it doesn't sound too hard.
Super easy it can be done with eyes closed. 😉
Joni Gomes says
Chunky guac is where it's at! Red onion and tomatoes are pretty much a must! Have to try these homemade tortilla chips for sure!
Absolutely - guac isn't guacamole without the red onions and tomatoes. Thanks Joni. 🙂
Emily @ Recipes to Nourish says
That is the best way to make chips!!! So easy! Plus, you can't go wrong with all of that beautiful guacamole!
Agreed! Chips and guac are so yummy!
linda spiker says
I love my guac to be chunky! So much better than smooth.
The Food Hunter says
I love that you keep it chunky that is the best way
Agreed!! Thanks Theresa. 🙂
linda spiker says
I like guac like I like my men, chunky:) Just kidding but it is how I like my guac!
Bahaha! Aren't those the best kind?
Megan Stevens says
That looks like the perfect balance of ingredients!! 🙂
Thanks Megan. It's delicious!!
Carol Little R.H. says
I love guacamole ~ whether it's simple mashed avocado with fresh squeezed lime from a Mexican street vendor -- or this beautiful chunky guac laden with great flavours ~ it's delicious, super nutritious and a favourite in my home! Thanks for this great post with the baked chips too!
Thank you Carol. Guacamole is such a favorite appetizer. And I love that there are so many variants to it. 🙂
BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS??? You say it's stupid easy...and it totally is...but WHY have I never thought to do this? YUM! And I HEART guacamole...especially when it's chunky and full of yummies!
I know right? Chunky guac is the way to do guac. Ha!