Warm up to this one-pot, gluten-free, hearty soup made with pastured bacon, chunky potatoes, and delicious mushrooms. It’s a satisfying comfort food with loads of flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for supporting this site with purchases made through these links. See full DISCLOSURE for details.
For most of my life, I was convinced that in order for soups to be delicious, I had to see through them. It was important for me to distinguish the soup ingredients and tell them apart. Potatoes had to have a distinct shape and texture. Carrots had to be orange-colored and uniform.
It wasn’t until recently, and mostly because of necessity that I realized thickened soups keep teenagers fuller longer.
But in order to thicken soups you need to either (a) add more ingredients or (b) thicken with a flour. Often, a recipe will require both of those methods.
Mushroom, Bacon & Potato Chowder (Gluten-Free)
Because this soup boasts your favorite comfort foods, we’ll stick to slightly thickening it with some arrowroot starch. Feel free to gently blend the potatoes with an immersion blender if you’re skipping the starch all together.
I’ve been experimenting with different soups and chowders that will keep my family’s hunger satisfied. We rely heavily on soups because they are simply convenient, easy to make and can be as nutrient-dense as you want them to be. But I also realize that sometimes it’s not quite enough for my family so I go for rich and thick chowders and stews.
Mushroom and Bacon Potato Chowder
- 16 oz. pastured bacon, cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 quarts bone broth
- 6 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- On medium high heat in a large thick-bottom stock pot, cook bacon pieces until crispy. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Keeping the heat on medium, saute onions, celery and mushrooms in the bacon grease, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and basil.
- Add arrowroot starch and quickly stir to coat vegetables with the flour. The flour should slightly cook.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, continuing to stir to create a thick consistency (approximately 5 minutes)
- When everything is uniform, add remaining broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fully cooked.
- Stir in sour cream and the cooked bacon and combine well.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with curly parsley.
More Recipes You Might Like
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with Prepare & Nourish’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Prepare & Nourish is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. For additional information, please visit my full Disclosure page.