Slightly tart slices of Granny Smith apples are loaded with savory cream cheese and delicious crunchy toppings. These delicious appetizers are GAPS and Primal and are naturally free from grains and gluten.
These Savory Sliced Apple Appetizers are such a festive treat but have the simplest of ingredients, found in most kitchens right now. Granny Smith apples, garlicky-chives cream cheese, celery, pomegranate seeds and pecans make for a delectable treat.
Savory Sliced Apple Appetizers (GAPS, Primal)
To make these smaller, bite-size appetizers, you can also cut the slices in half, creating half-moons. I prefer to use Granny Smith apples for their tartness and subtle sweetness but you can use your favorite apples.
Additionally, since our carbs are only coming from the apple and pomegranate seeds, each appetizer slice has only 10 grams of carbs. Still not considered low carb but a healthy option for your sweet tooth.
Of course if you choose to drizzle honey over these appetizers (which is aaaamazing!) - your carb count will be higher but still these are a great GAPS and Primal option.
How to avoid browning in apples:
Having apples as appetizers can be a tricky thing because as apples are exposed to oxygen, they produce an enzyme known as polyphenol oxidase that causes browning. There are some things you can do to avoid browning in these Savory Sliced Apple Appetizers:
- Soak your apple slices in lemon water. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of water and soak them for 5 minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the apple slices, leaving just a tiny margin on the edges. The idea is to cover the apple slices as much as you can, thereby reducing the exposure to air.
- Prepare the apple slices but keep them in an airtight bag until ready to serve and all other ingredients are ready.
Helpful Tips for these Sliced Apple Appetizers:
- It's helpful to have the cream cheese at room temperature for easier mixing. I also prefer to use one whisk attachment of a hand mixer and mix in a deep bowl or mug.
- Roast the pecans first so they can cool while you're preparing the other ingredients.
- For an extra festive holiday look, add sprigs of rosemary to these Sliced Apple Appetizers.
- Leave the honey out and allow your guests to drizzle if desired. That way the apple slices will remain crunchy longer.
Related: Natural Sweeteners Guide
Won't these Savory Sliced Apple Appetizers be beautiful gracing your holiday table?
Savory Sliced Apple Appetizers
- Wash and dry apples. Cut apples crosswise starting from the bottom working your way towards the stem. Gently remove the seeds. To avoid browning, soak apple slices in lemon water for 5 minutes, then remove and dry.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, garlic, chives and sea salt together.
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, roast pecans until slightly golden.
- Evenly spread cream cheese mixture between the apple slices and transfer to a platter.
- Evenly divide the chopped celery, roasted pecans, and pomegranate anvils amongst the apple slices.
- Drizzle honey if desired. Top with micro greens or herbs.
- Enjoy immediately but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.
The information shown is an estimate provided for your convenience by an online calculator. It should not be considered as a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our complete Nutritional Information Disclaimer.
©Prepare and Nourish • Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated but please do NOT screenshot or copy/paste complete recipes to websites or social media.
Need more Holiday Appetizers?
>>> Pin This <<<