Crunchy pecans, blended with shredded coconut, and sweetened with honey all nestled in an apple half and baked to perfection. These Paleo Baked Apples are paleo, primal, and GAPS compliant.
Imagine the combination of granny smith apples, cinnamon, pecans and honey all blended together on the same plate – guilt free. This is the definition of healthy apple pie without the guilt of the crust.
Baked Apples with Pecan Crumble (Paleo, Primal, GAPS)
These Paleo Baked Apples have that perfectly crunchy, honey-sweetened pecan crumble. And the best part is that it’s only 5 ingredients (including the apples) and takes very little hands-on time.
The hardest part is waiting patiently for the apples to bake to perfection.
Top these baked apples with Paleo 3-Ingredient Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and drizzle with salted caramel sauce (recipe coming soon!) and you have a perfect fall dessert.
Want more seasonal sweets? Check out this Paleo Crepe Cake with Cranberries.
Helpful Tips for these Paleo Baked Apples
- Pick same size apples for even cooking.
- I cut the apples in half since they make a smaller portion (great for children!) and provide more servings this way. Alternatively, you can just cut out a small hole at the top of a whole apple using a paring knife and make 4 servings instead of 8.
- If your half apples don’t sit well in the dish, just slice a small piece off the rounded part of the apple half to create stability. It should sit well in the pan. I didn’t bother doing this because I find that as soon as the apples are baked and softened, they are set pretty firmly in the dish.
- In order to retain that crunch in the pecans, be sure they are just coarsely chopped. Just 2-3 pulses is enough to blend them in with the honey butter mixture. You don’t want to process them to flour or meal consistency.
Helpful Items for these Paleo Baked Apples
- I used an ice cream scoop similar to this one to scoop out the center cores. I purchased mine at an estate sale and I love it for these jobs because the edges are thin enough to create a clean line. A melon baller would work just as well.
- I use my Le Creuset 9X12 casserole dish to bake these apples.
- This food processor does a splendid job at combining the cold butter with honey and coconut.
How would you enjoy these baked apples? What would you add on top?
Paleo Baked Apples with Pecan Crumble (Paleo, Primal, GAPS)
- 4 granny smith apples
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 6X9 casserole dish with butter and set aside.
- Cut the apples in half, remove the core with a melon baller or similar tool.
- Combine all topping ingredients except the pecans in a food processor and pulse until combined well.
- Add coarsely chopped pecans towards the end and pulse a few times to until evenly combined.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of pecan crumble onto the apple halves.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until apples are tender but not mushy.
- Remove apples, top with scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with salted caramel sauce.