Tender and flavorful from the onions and bell peppers, these Turkey Fajita Meatballs are quick and easy to put together for an lazy weeknight meal. Enjoy on a bed of romaine lettuce (or rice!) drizzled with crema fresca and topped with Cotija cheese.
Best day of the week is inevitably Tuesdays for their infamous #tacotuesday goodness. If we really counted the ways to enjoy this delicious day, we could be here for hours. Needless to say, there’s a myriad of flavors, textures and techniques to change up Mexican cuisine. Something for everyone.
One criteria for any day of the week is the need to simplify dinner time. I don’t do meal prep for various reasons and as hard as I try, sometimes my feeble attempt at meal planning is an epic failure. And as much as I love, appreciate, and strive towards at-home, from-scratch cooking – sometimes convenience wins over. And on those days, we’re having a gluten-free pasta and grass-fed hot-dogs night. Or these Turkey Fajita Meatballs.
Turkey Fajita Meaballs
The onions and bell peppers lend a moist and delicious flavor while the egg keeps all the contents together. Skip the breading of the meatballs to slice prep time in half. It really is as simple as tossing 8 ingredients in a bowl, mix, ball and bake.
Have a few minutes to spare?? – crush plantain or tortilla chips in a sealed ziplock bag and roll the meatballs to coat for some extra flavor action. But I promise if you leave this part out – the meatballs are just as good!
Star of the show is Simply Organic’s newest product Fajita Simmer Sauce, adding notes of sweetness and flaming heat in the same bowl. Classic Fajita Simmer Sauce is perfectly balanced with a pleasant chili heat, and delicious notes of chilies, bell peppers, cumin and smoked paprika to create a sauce that can be deliciously enjoyed on beef or chicken. Or turkey.
I love having the convenience of using these sauces for quick dinners packed with a ton of flavor. Simply Organic’s simmer sauces come in Southwest Taco, Red Enchilada, Mild Taco and Classic Fajita. They use clean and organic ingredients and I feel good about serving this dish to my hangry family. Besides, it’s a convenience night tonight so Simmer Sauces it is!
What about you? How have you been enjoying #tacotuesdays with convenience in mind?
Turkey Fajita Meatballs
Creating Meatball Plates
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly chopped
- 1/4 cup crema fresca (thin sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons Cotija cheese
- fresh jalapeno, cilantro, and lime for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Pour the full packet of Simply Organic's Classic Fajita Simmer Sauce in a 24-ounce baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, diced onions, bell peppers, seasonings, and egg and mix well.
- Place chips in a small ziplock bag and seal it. Using a rolling pin, roll back and forth, breaking down the chips to create crumb-like consistency. Pour crumbled chips in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of meatball and place directly onto the crumbled chips. Roll the meatball to coat entirely with the crumbs.
- Spread formed and coated meatballs in the baking dish in a single layer. Cover with parchment paper, then foil to seal
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, remove foil and parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Spread romaine lettuce on a plate. Add meatballs on top of the lettuce, followed by drizzle of crema fresca and crumbles of Cotija cheese. Squeeze a lime wedge around the plate. Add cilantro and jalapeno slices if desired.
You May Also Like
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE:
In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with Prepare & Nourish’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Prepare & Nourish is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. For additional information, please visit my full Disclosure page.