These Lazy Cabbage Rolls are packed with the traditional flavors including onion, carrots, tomato sauce and of course cabbage. Cauliflower rice makes a great sub for regular rice making these low-carb, whole30, and paleo.
These rolls are a fast and easy way to enjoy the taste of cabbage rolls without the actual rolling. I prefer simple yet flavorful meals and these rolls fit the bill in both criteria.
Another reason this recipe is such a winner is because it is chock full of vegetables. My Classic Stuffed Cabbage Leaves call for rice (cooked in bone broth, no else!) and is typically found in most cabbage rolls. To keep these grain-free, the cauli-rice adds the perfect flavor and texture to these rolls.
But if you’re a rice fan, feel free to use cooked rice in place of cauliflower rice to the meat and vegetable mixture. No need to sauté it. For extra nutrition, cook the rice in bone broth.
Related: Surprising Ways to Use Bone Broth
These Lazy Cabbage Rolls are packed with all the traditional flavors such as onions, carrots, tomato sauce and of course cabbage. The “lazy” part means there’s no rolling – instead the cabbage is sautéed along with other veggies to bring out all the flavors and release some of the juices, leaving the rolls just perfectly tender and wholesome delicious.
Lazy Cabbage Rolls
Enjoy these rolls with some crème fraîche or a gallop of thick sour cream. To keep these completely dairy-free for Paleo and Whole 30, homemade mayonnaise thinned out with milk of choice makes a great drizzle.
Related: How to Make Mayonnaise
Healthy Lazy Cabbage Rolls (Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
Lazy Cabbage Rolls | Paleo, Low-Carb, Whole30
- 2 tablespoons healthy cooking fat of choice (butter, lard, avocado oil, coconut oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 1/2 pound ground meat (turkey or chicken is best)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat healthy cooking fat over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft and translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and increase heat to high. Simmer for a few more minutes to thicken sauce, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium. Spoon half of this onion-carrot sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- To the remaining sauce still in the pan, add shredded cabbage and cook for 4-5 minutes to soften and release juices. Add cauli-rice and continue to cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spread half of the reserved sauce in a 9X13 casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground poultry, sautéed vegetables, eggs, and seasonings and mix well.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of meat and vegetables mixture and form into oblong meatballs. Spread remaining sauce evenly over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover to broil for 5-10 minutes (watch carefully) to reduce the liquid and brown the tops.
- Top with sour cream or thinned out mayonnaise.