This Easy 5-minute Spicy Garlic Yogurt Sauce transforms ordinary dishes into mouthwatering goodness! This spicy garlic sauce is a versatile, tangy, and delicious addition to all your meals. With just 4 simple ingredients, you can whip up this yogurt sauce for chicken, kebabs, roasted veggies, or even as a healthy dip. It's a perfect balance of flavors - a creamy garlic dipping sauce that is actually healthy for you!
You'll love how easily you can elevate your dishes with this quick and simple recipe that's sure to become a new favorite in your meal prep routine.
Why you'll love this recipe
Easy to make - Spicy yogurt sauce is perfect for busy days when you need a quick and tasty dip.
Versatile - A flavorful sauce can quickly enhance your favorite dishes. This garlic sauce works for chicken, other meats, veggies, and even soups. It's a great way to salvage overcooked salmon or spice up broccoli.
Healthy - Ditch the storebought sauces with additives and make this nutritious alternative, full of antimicrobial properties and live probiotics.
💭Fun Fact: This easy 5-minute spicy garlic yogurt sauce was originally called Tuzluk (or Tuzlook), a popular yogurt drink in the Caucasus mountains and Middle Eastern countries. This Tuzluk recipe is the same I have been making for over 20 years now, and it's a regular on our dinner table.
Learn how to make a nourishing yogurt sauce for chicken, meats, or veggies. This easy garlic sauce recipe comes together quickly with just 4 basic ingredients.
- Yogurt: This naturally fermented dairy is known for its tangy flavor and smooth texture. Use whole milk plain yogurt for a creamier texture and best flavor.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic gives an aromatic and bold flavor. Garlic contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds, making this easy recipe nourishing. Don't use jarred minced garlic - go with fresh for the most flavorful spicy garlic sauce.
- Salt and pepper: Salt brings out the natural flavors of the yogurt and garlic, while the black pepper adds a touch of heat and depth of flavor.
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
Substitutions and Variations
Yogurt - When it comes to the base of this yogurt garlic sauce, you have several options. Consider these alternatives that I have used with great success:
- Greek yogurt - this will create a thicker consistency. You can thin it with a few tablespoons of milk or keep it thick as a yogurt dipping sauce.
- Kefir - this is a thinner version of fermented dairy and works well here. To avoid having a very runny garlic sauce, use whole milk kefir (not low-fat or reduced-fat). Using kefir is also great for making a spicy yogurt drink.
- Buttermilk - another great alternative to yogurt in this recipe. Buttermilk has a slightly thicker texture than kefir but also has that classic tangy flavor like all fermented dairy.
- Sour cream - don't have any of the fermented dairy options above? No problem. Use sour cream and add olive oil and lemon juice to thin it out, and stir the ingredients together well.
Pepper - Traditionally, the tuzluk recipe is made with freshly ground black pepper. However, I have used cayenne pepper with delicious results. You can also try crushed red pepper flakes to change things up.
Make Yogurt Garlic Sauce Nutrient Dense
Staying true to the heart of what Prepare and Nourish is all about, there are ways to ensure you get the maximum nutrition in this sauce. Even though it's an incredibly simple recipe, you can take purposeful steps to turn this into a nutrient-dense condiment.
Use homemade yogurt. Homemade fermented dairy will always surpass in both quality and nutrition than storebought versions. At the very least, be sure to use whole milk grass-fed yogurt.
Boost the allicin production. When fresh garlic is minced or crushed, it produces a compound from the enzyme alliinase called allicin, which comes with its own host of microbial and antioxidant properties. To maximize the production of allicin, mince the garlic and let it sit for a few minutes before stirring it in.
Unrefined sea salt. Good quality salt is fundamental to nourishing meals so be sure you use mineral-rich salt like unrefined sea salt from Redmond's or Celtic sea salt. You can learn more about the importance of healthy salts in this Unrefined Salt Guide.
Mixing methods - You can either stir the ingredients in a small bowl or opt for the convenience of a pint-size mason jar and shake it vigorously to combine everything.
Mincing garlic - To maximize garlic flavor, use a garlic press or microplane grater to mince it finely. I would not attempt to finely chop garlic with a knife for this sauce.
Double the recipe - This versatile yogurt dipping sauce has many uses, therefore, consider doubling the recipe to ensure ample supply.
💭Meal Prep Suggestion: If making a large batch to last you an entire week, wait to add the garlic until just before serving for the best and fresh flavor. Otherwise, garlic tends to have an off-taste if mixed with wet ingredients for longer period of time.
The complete printable recipe is below in the recipe card for your convenience.
The recipe for creamy garlic dipping sauce is an easy 2-step process. It will take you no more than 5 minutes to whip up this spicy sauce.
Step 1. Add
Scoop yogurt to a small bowl. Add minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
Step 2. Combine
Stir to combine well, ensuring that the garlic is distributed throughout.
💭Pro tip: Save time on cleanup and make this directly in a small pint-size mason jar. Add all the ingredients, close the jar, and give a good shake to combine.
Helpful Tools & Links
Below are some affiliate links that may be helpful to you as you make this yogurt garlic sauce. You can find some of these items cheaper at your local store, but having a link helps you know what you're looking for.
- Tools: garlic press, small mixing bowl
- Ingredients: unrefined sea salt, black pepper
- Storage Supplies: wide-mouth mason jars, Weck preserving jars
How do you use Garlic Yogurt Sauce?
This spicy yogurt sauce is such a versatile condiment that it truly does work with your favorite savory food. Check out these serving suggestions:
Spicy Garlic Sauce pairing suggestions
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin42 Minutes
- Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash15 Minutes
- Shurpa Soup Recipe (Uzbek Lamb Soup with Vegetables)1 Hours
- Easy Roasted Bok Choy Recipe in Air Fryer15 Minutes
How long does garlic sauce last in the refrigerator?
To store: Store leftover yogurt garlic sauce in an airtight container or mason jar for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Storage containers: These mouth-wide mason jars are great for this sauce recipe.
I do not recommend freezing this sauce as the texture and consistency will change after thawing. It's best to enjoy this spicy garlic sauce fresh or make a smaller batch that can be consumed quicker.
If you added too much garlic to the yogurt sauce, you can dilute that spicy flavor by adding more yogurt. If you don't want to add more volume, drizzle some fresh lemon to mask some of the strong garlic flavor.
Certainly! That's a great way to use spicy garlic sauce. Consider doubling the recipe to have some on hand for dipping or drizzling.
Looking for more healthy condiment recipes? Here are some ideas:
Did you make this? Please leave a ⭐ recipe rating in the recipe card below and leave a review in the comments. Thank you!💚
Easy 5-Minute Spicy Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Add: Spoon yogurt into a small bowl or pint-size mason jar. Add minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Combine: Stir or shake the jar to combine everything well. Store in the refrigerator.
- Mixing methods - You can either stir the ingredients in a small bowl or opt for the convenience of a pint-size mason jar and shake it vigorously to combine everything.
- Mincing garlic - To maximize garlic flavor, use a garlic press or Microplane grater to mince it finely. I would not attempt to chop garlic with a knife for this sauce finely.
- Double the recipe - This versatile yogurt dipping sauce has many uses; therefore, consider doubling the recipe to ensure ample supply. If meal prepping this, wait to add minced garlic until before serving so it tastes fresh.